She Who Must Be Obeyed gave her usual dinner instructions, “I got boneless skinless chicken thighs, you’re making dinner.” It was time to try something new. I like taco seasonings so I decided to add them to the breading in oven fried thighs and came up with Mexican Oven Fried Thighs.
I will start by apologizing to all Mexicans. Us gringos add a bit of taco spices to something and call it Mexican. My experience with authentic Mexican cuisine shows it uses complex flavours, skilled techniques and has great variety across its regions. I beg their forgiveness for this sad shadow of Mexican food.
Preheat your oven to 425 F.
I put each chicken thigh between 2 sheets of wax paper and pounded it to 1/4 inch thick with a mallet. You can also use the bottom of a heavy pot.
I put the vegetable oil on a baking sheet and spread it all over the baking sheet. Put the baking sheet in the oven.
I set up a breading station with the flour, salt and pepper on a plate, the egg mixed with the milk in a shallow casserole and the breadcrumbs mixed with the taco seasonings on a plate. You can use commercial taco seasonings or my recipe from a prior post.
One at a time, I put a thigh in the flour mixture, dipped it in the egg mixture and then tossed it in the bread crumbs. Put the thighs aside.
Put the thighs on the heated tray and back in the oven. Cook for about 12 minutes. Depending on your oven, it may take a bit longer. You are looking for a nice golden brown colour on the bottom of the thigh. Turn them and put them back in the oven.
Cook for another 12 minutes. Make sure the internal temperature of the chicken is over 165 F and take from the oven.
Put them on paper towels and let them sit for a couple of minutes and serve.
These are very tasty. A nice spice hit from the taco seasoning and a crunchy coating. Thanks again to my Mexican friends.
The Old Fat Guy
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) flour
- 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt
- 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) pepper
- 1 egg
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) milk
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) fine dry bread crumbs
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) taco seasoning mix
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Spread the oil on a baking tray and put it in the oven.
- Put the chicken thighs between 2 sheets of wax paper and pound them to 1/4 inch thick.
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper together on a plate.
- Mix the milk and egg together in a shallow bowl or casserole.
- Mix the bread crumbs and taco seasoning together on a plate.
- Put a thigh in the flour to coat. Dip it in the egg mixture. Toss in the breadcrumbs to coat.
- Repeat with all thighs and set them aside.
- Take the hot baking tray from the oven and put the coated thighs on it. Return to oven.
- Cook for about 12 minutes, until browned on the bottom.
- Flip and cook for 12 more minutes.
- Make sure the internal temperature of the chicken is over 165 F.
- Drain for a couple of minutes on paper towel and serve.