My mom would make chicken pot pie with condensed cream of chicken soup for the sauce. It would be put in a casserole and she would roll out commercial pastry and put it over the top. It was pretty bland but had a nice consistency.
We had finished a hard day in the garden and had leftover chicken for dinner. She Who Must Be Obeyed informed me she wanted comfort food and there would be Chicken Pot Pie. As usual, I always obey a pretty lady who spoils me rotten.
However, I was tired and wanted to go easy. I had a package of Tenderflake Pie Crusts in the freezer. I like to have them on hand because they make a great flaky pie crust. The box has 2 crusts in it and I could use the second crust to make the top.
I started by preheating my oven to 400 F (205 C). Then I sauteed 1/2 small onion, sliced with 1 carrot cubed, in 15 ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil.
When the onions are softened, I mixed in 15 ml (1 tbsp) of flour and 5 ml (1 tsp) Italian seasoning. Mix until blended with the oil. I added 1 can of Campbell’s Cream of Chicken condensed soup and 2/3 can milk. Heat and stir until the sauce is smooth and thick.
Add 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) cubed or shredded cooked chicken, 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) cubed cooked potatoes, and 250 ml (1 cup) cooked mixed vegetables.
Scoop into one of the pie crusts and wet the edges of the pastry. Turn the other crust over on the pie and pinch the edges together. Cut slits in the top crust to let steam escape.
Put the pie in the oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 F (175 C) and cook until the crust is brown and the pie is bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes.
Let the pie rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
This is comfort food and it is so easy. It reminds me of Mom’s but has more flavour and a top and bottom crust! Best of all, it met the bosses approval!
The Old Fat Guy
Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- 15 ml vegetable oil 1 tbsp
- 1/2 small onion sliced
- 1 carrot cubed
- 5 ml Italian seasonings 1 tsp
- 15 ml flour 1 tbsp
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2/3 can milk
- 375 ml cooked chicken 1 ½ cups cubed
- 375 ml cooked potatoes 1 ½ cups cubed
- 250 ml cooked mixed vegetables 1 cup cubed
- 1 double crust pastry recipe
- Saute onion and carrot in oil until onion softens
- Add the Italian seasonings and flour and stir until flour coats vegetables.
- Add the condensed soup and milk. Heat and stir until sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Add vegetables, potatoes, and chicken.
- Put the mixture into the bottom crust and top with crust. Cut slits in the crust to let steam escape.
- Put the pie in a preheated 400 F (205 C) oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F (175 C) and cook until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let the pie rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.