My Mother Made Me Do It
All the people of my age consumed vast quantities of cream of mushroom soup. Our mothers used it in casseroles, mixed with tuna on toast and a myriad other recipes. Mostly, it was gloppy and somewhat tasteless. However, sometimes you just crave that creamy texture. Here is my updated version of Meatballs in Mushroom Gravy using cream of mushroom soup.
Here is the recipe:
Meatballs In Mushroom Gravy
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can low salt condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup beef stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- Mix bread crumbs, wine, egg, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, Parmesan and mustard.
- Add the mixture to the beef and mix well. Form the beef into 1 inch balls.
- Heat the oil in a large fry pan at medium high heat. Brown the meatballs on all sides. Take the meatballs out and set aside.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir until boiling. Add meatballs and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Yummly Rich Recipes
This took me back to the dinners after mom got home from work. However, this has a lot more flavour and is better suited to my adult tastes. I make this from time to time when I want to feel like a kid again. I love it.
The Old Fat Guy
Everything always tastes better with wine in it!! Funny how many “mom’s” had a version of this recipe. I will have to dig out my mom’s…I have it somewhere. Perhaps it can be jazzed up too.
I know what you mean about the wine. However, She Who Must Be obeyed opines that wine was made for drinking,
Both of us like to have the comfort food of our youth from time time even though it isn’t haute cuisine and may not be the healthiest.
Good old canned mushroom soup! I can relate to this post. Our moms put condensed cream of chicken or mushroom in every casserole it seemed. I love meatballs! Thanks for sharing. 🙂
Thanks for the kind words, Lisa. I know my mother always had cans of condensed mushroom soup on hand.
The Old Fat Guy