Fish is very expensive these days but sole is still a reasonable price. We have it often and this is a simple, quick way to make it.
She Who Must Be Obeyed picked up 3 nice sole fillets and I set up four plates for a quick breading.
On the first plate I mixed flour and Cajun seasoning blend. Use any seasoning mix you like.
I tossed the fillets in the flour mixture and put them on the next plate. I rubbed both sides of the fillets with mayonnaise.
On the third place I mixed dry bread crumbs and more Cajun seasoning. I put the fillets in the bread crumbs and spread them over both sides and put the breaded fillets on the last plate.
I preheated an electric fry pan to 400 F. When it was up to temperature I added butter. When it was bubbling, I put the sole in the butter and cooked it for about 3 minutes until the breading was browned and flipped them. I cooked for a couple of minutes more to brown the other side.
We served them with potato and broccoli salad.
This has a nice crispy crust and the Cajun seasoning gave it a bit of bite. It is a nice easy fish dish.
The Old Fat Guy
- 3 sole fillets
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) flour
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) Cajun (or seasoning of your choice), divided
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) mayonnaise
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) bread crumbs
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) butter
- Mix the flour and 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) of the seasoning on a plate.
- Roll the soul in the flour mixture.
- Spread the mayonnaise over the fillets.
- Mix the bread crumbs and remaining seasoning on a plate.
- Put the fillets on the plate and toss in the bread crumbs to coat.
- Preheat an electric fry pan to 400 F.
- Put the butter in the pan.
- When the butter is bubbling, put the fillets in the butter.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, until browned.
- Flip and brown the other side.
What an excellent way to prepare fish! Thanks!
Your welcome. We like this because, while it is easy, it tastes great.