One of the reasons She Who Must Be Obeyed likes it when I smoke or barbecue is that my mess is outside. So, if I am doing meat, she likes it if I do sides, too. This is an easy recipe to some tasty potatoes when I am barbecuing.
I cube some potatoes to about 3/4 inch. You’ll note that I don’t peel the potatoes. Potato peels are delicious and hold a lot of the nutrients.
I put them in a bowl with some chopped onion and sprinkle them with a seasoning blend. For this meal, I used Mexican Seasonings. You can use any seasoning mix you like. Try Cajun, Greek or Italian. I added some olive oil and tossed to coat.
Put the mixture in an aluminum pie plate or a small pan and cover with foil.
For this meal, I was smoking some chicken at 350 F. You can cook the potatoes in the smoker if the temperature is between 350 F and 400 F. Just put the potatoes in and cook for about 1 hour.
If you are using a gas grill, put the pan on the top rack with the lid down and the burners at medium to medium high. Cook for 45 minutes.
Remove the foil and serve.
These potatoes get a great texture with a little browning on the bottom. They are a regular on my table.
The Old Fat Guy
- 750 ml (3 cups) potatoes cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 150 ml (2/3 cups) coarse chopped onions
- 10 ml (2 tsp) seasoning blend, try Mexican, Greek, Cajun or Italian
- 25 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- Put the potatoes in a bowl, add the remaining ingredients and toss to coat.
- Put the mixture into an aluminum pie plate or small pan in a single layer.
- Cover the pan with foil.
- Cook in a smoker between 350 to 400 F for one hour or on the top rack of a gas grill on medium to medium high for 45 minutes.