I love fried potatoes and I love Greek potatoes that are cooked in the oven. Why not put the two together? Welcome to Greek Fried Potatoes.
I cut up 125 ml (1/2 cup) each bacon and onions and set them aside.
I diced 500 grams (1 pound) soft skinned to potatoes to 3/4 inch cubes.
I put 250 ml (1 cup) of water on the potatoes in a casserole. I covered the casserole and microwaved it in 2 minute sessions until the potatoes were just cooked. It took me 6 minutes but it will vary greatly with the power of your microwave.
I strained the water off the potatoes.
I heated 15 ml (1 tablespoon) butter in a fry pan over medium heat until it got foamy. I added the bacon and cooked just until it started to get a red colour on the meat. You are not looking to brown it at this point. It took about 3 minutes.
I added the onions and cooked just until they were soft, about 3 minutes.
I added the cooked potatoes and poured 50 ml (1/4 cup) lemon juice over them. I sprinkled 5 ml (1 tsp) of oregano over the potatoes. I cooked, stirring occasionally until the lemon juice was totally evaporated, about 5 minutes.
I continued cooking and stirring until the bacon was starting to crisp, another 3 minutes. You are not trying to brown the potatoes. They will not brown with this recipe.
I put the potatoes into a serving dish.
These were very good. The potatoes had a nice texture and a touch of lemon taste. The bacon gave a good smoky hit and the onion a richer flavour. I will make these again!
The Old Fat Guy
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chopped uncooked bacon
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chopped onion
- 500 gr (1 lb) potatoes cut to 3/4 inch cubes
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) lemon juice
- 5 ml (1 tsp) oregano
- Put the potatoes and the water in a covered casserole. Microwave in 2 minute intervals until the potatoes are just cooked.
- Strain the water off the potatoes.
- Heat the butter in a fry pan over medium heat until foamy.
- Add the bacon and cook just until the meat gets red, about 3 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook just until they start to get soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, lemon juice and oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, until all the lemon juice has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Cook, stirring, until the bacon is cooked. The potatoes will not brown.