Surprise! I wanted to try something different for my next rack of ribs. I wanted to try Memphis Ribs. One of the hallmarks of Memphis Ribs is a less sweet, more earthy rub. Here is my version of Memphis Rub. I will use it to make ribs in a future post.
You’ll note there is much less sugar, the base is paprika and there is a mix of varied dried herbs.
Just mix all the ingredients together and store them in an airtight container. You’ll note I made another of my custom made fancy containers.
A word of warning. If you are used to a sweet caramelized coating from your rubs, this rub isn’t that. It will give a dark flavourful coating.
The Old Fat Guy
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) paprika
- 90 ml (1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon) brown sugar
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) garlic powder
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) black pepper
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) ginger
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) onion powder
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) thyme
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) oregano
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) kosher salt
- Mix all ingredients well and store in an airtight container.