I wasn’t supposed to be making supper but She Who Must Be Obeyed overdid it in the garden and I volunteered. She is very kind to me and I owe her.
The only thing not frozen was some hamburger. I decided a casserole with a touch of jazz would be comforting and invented the Hamburger Salsa Casserole.
I started by measuring one cup of uncooked macaroni. I cooked it per the package instructions and drained it.
I melted 25 ml (2 tbsp) of butter over medium high heat in a saucepan. I added 1/2 cup (125 ml) of chopped onion and sauteed until the onion was getting soft.
I added 300 g (2/3 pound) of lean ground beef and sauteed until the beef was cooked through. I broke the beef up with the back of a spoon while it was sauteeing. Then I added 1 clove of minced garlic, 10 ml (2 tsp) of Italian seasonings, and 5 ml (1 tsp) pepper. I cooked for a minute or two until the seasonings were fragrant.
I added 25 ml (2 tbsp) of flour and stirred until it coated the meat and mixed with the fat.
I added 500 ml (2 cups) of milk and stirred until the mixture thickened.
I stirred in 500 ml (2 cups) of shredded cheese (about 140 gr (5 oz)). I used 1/2 havarti and 1/2 process cheese for this but you can use any cheese you prefer. Stir until the cheese is melted and incorporated into the mixture.
Remove the mixture from the heat.
I sprayed a casserole dish with baking spray and put 1/2 the meat mixture in the casserole. I put 1/2 of the macaroni over that and spread 1/2 the salsa over that. Repeat with the remaining meat mixture, macaroni, and salsa.
Arrange 4 process cheese slices over the top of the casserole.
I baked it in a 350 F (175 C) oven for 40 minutes.
Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Usually, when you make a dish for the first time you decide it needs some adjustment for the next time you make it. I wouldn’t change a thing this time.
The cassserole was creamy, beefy, cheesy, and had the bright taste of the salsa to give it life. The melted cheese coating on the top made it look wonderful.
Yes. I will be making this again!
The Old Fat Guy
Hamburger Salsa Casserole
- 250 ml uncooked macaroni 1 cup
- 25 ml butter 2 tbsp
- 125 ml onion, chopped ½ cup
- 300 g lean ground beef ⅔ pound
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 10 ml Italian seasoning 2 tsp
- 5 ml pepper 1 tsp
- 25 ml flour 2 tbsp
- 250 ml milk 1 cup
- 500 ml shredded cheese 2 cups (about 140 g (5 oz))
- 250 ml salsa 1 cup
- 4 slices process cheese
- Cook the macaroni per the package instructions and drain.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium high heat. Saute onions until they start to get soft.
- Add the beef and saute, breaking the beef up with a spoon, until beef is cooked through
- Add the Italian seasoning, pepper, and garlic. Stir until seasonings become fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir to mix. Add the milk and cook, stirring until the mixture thickens, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded cheese and mix until melted and incorporated into the sauce. Remove from heat.
- Spray a casserole with baking spray. Put ½ the meat mixture into the casserole. Cover with ½ the macaroni. Spread ½ the salsa over the macaroni. Repeat with remaining meat mixture, macaroni, and salsa.
- Cook, uncovered, in a 350 F (175 C) oven for 40 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.