I love smoking meat and fish. However, can you make a great side dish like potatoes in smoker considering the lower temperatures. Of course you can.
I took a large baker potato and cut it into 3/4 inch cubes. I put them in a foil pan (you could also use a sheet of foil that you will fold into an envelope). I added 175 ml (3/4 cups) of thinly sliced onion. I mixed in 10 ml (2 teaspoons) Italian seasonings and 40 ml (3 tablespoons) olive oil.
I covered it in foil and put it in 230 F smoker.
I smoked for 2 hours removed the foil and then spread 175 ml (3/4 cup) cheese over the top. You can use whatever cheese you like. For this cook, I used Pepper Jack for a touch of heat.
I put it back in the smoker for 5 to 10 minutes to melt the cheese.
These potatoes turned out with a nice creamy texture. The onions and Italian seasoning give a good hit of flavour while the cheese makes it seem special. You could serve these at an informal cookout or a fancy dinner!
The Old Fat Guy
- 1 large baker potato
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) thin sliced onion
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) Italian seasonings
- 40 ml (3 tablespoons) olive oil
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) grated cheese
- Cut the potato into 3/4 inch cubes.
- In a foil pan, mix the potatoes, onions, Italian seasonings and onion together.
- Cover the pan with foil and put it in a 230 F smoker for 2 hours.
- Uncover the pan and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Put it back in the smoker for 5 to 10 minutes to melt the cheese.