I am old enough to remember the days of the stodgy old steakhouses. They had white table cloths, huge hunks of beef and a standard set of appetizers and side dishes. One of the common dishes was Shrimp Louie, shrimp in a tasty pink sauce. It was a rich appetizer served in a chilled glass. I have updated it to a more modern version with shrimp on skewers to make them a finger food with a tasty dip.
I started my making the Louie sauce the day before.
I mixed all the ingredients except the butter and shrimp, covered it and put it in the fridge overnight to let the flavours blend.
I shelled and deveined the shrimp. I put three of them on one skewer with about 2 inches of skewer above each shrimp.
I cooked the shrimp on griddle heated over medium high heat for two to three minutes a side. You just want them opaque and pink. Do not over cook.
Cut the skewer under the two top shrimp to make 3 shrimp with 2 inches of skewer above them.
Plate the shrimp with the Louie sauce and serve.
This is a great appetizer. The sweet shrimp is complemented by a creamy sauce with a touch of savoury and heat! I always find it kind of primal, romantic and perfect for a special anniversary or event.
The Old Fat Guy
Addendum: I have cooked this dish on my TV show, You Can Make It!
Here is the video!
- 35 ml (2 tbsp plus 2 tsp) Chili sauce
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) mayonnaise
- 5 ml (1 tsp) lemon juice
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) lemon zest
- 2 ml (1/2 tssp) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) onion powder
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) garlic powder
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) horseradish
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) Italian seasoning
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) hot pepper sauce
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 12 medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 4 8 inch bamboo skewers
- Mix all ingredients except butter and shrimp together. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Put 3 shrimp on each skewer, leaving 2 inches above each shrimp.
- Melt the butter over medium heat on a griddle or large skillet.
- Cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes on each side, just until opaque and pink.
- Cut the skewers below each shrimp to get twelve shrimp on 2 inch skewer segments.
- Serve with sauce.