I like Carrot Pudding for Christmas and special occasions. She Who Must Be Obeyed is OK with this but finds it a little heavy. So this Christmas, I decided to do something simpler for her. I made Cottage Pudding.
If you have never heard of Cottage Pudding, you need to know that it is not pudding. I don’t know what warped mind decided to call it a pudding. It is actually a moist cake topped with a hot sauce. Simple, right? Perfect to meet the requirements of the woman I love.
I started by making the simple cake. I preheated the oven to 350 F.
I mixed the flour, salt and baking powder together.
I creamed the butter in my stand mixer. I added the sugar and creamed for 2 more minutes.
I added an egg and beat for 1 minute.
I mixed the milk and vanilla together.
I added 1/3 of the flour mixture to the creamed butter and mixed until blended. Then 1/2 the milk mixture and blended. Then the second 1/3 of the flour mixture, the second 1/2 of the milk mixture and the final 1/3 of the flour. Mix and scrape the bowl after each addition.
Put the batter in a 9 inch square cake pan that has been sprayed with baking spray. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
While the cake is cooling, make the sauce.
Melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the flour and stir until mixed. Add the brown sugar and salt. stir to combine. Add the boiling water and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the brandy and brown sugar and remove from the heat.
Serve the cake cut into squares and top with the sauce just before serving so the cake doesn’t get soggy.
Sometimes simple is the best! A plain moist piece of cake with a rich brandy sauce is hard to beat. Give it a try!
The Old Fat Guy
- 450 ml (1 3/4 cup) flour
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) baking powder
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
- 65 ml (1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp) butter
- 200 ml (3/4 cup) sugar
- 1 egg
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 25 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 25 ml (2 tbsp) flour
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) packed brown sugar
- 200 ml (3/4 cup) boiling water
- 25 ml (2 tbsp) brandy
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla
- Preheat your oven ot 350 F.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
- Cream the butter.
- Add the sugar and cream the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and beat for 1 minute.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 parts alternating with 1/2 of the milk mixture, mixing until blended and scraping after each addition.
- Put the batter in a 9 inch square pan that has been sprayed with baking spray.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add the flour and stir until blended.
- Add the brown sugar and salt and mix to blend.
- Add the boiling water and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove from the heat and add the brandy and vanilla.
- Cut the cake into squares and put sauce over the top just before serving.