For my Community TV show at Shaw East Kooteny, they wanted me to do dishes for Valentines Day in December so they could be ready to show in January. So my clock was messed up but being married to She Who Must Be Obeyed means I always feel lucky in romance. The first dish that came to mind was Scallop Fettuccine Alfredo because the woman I love likes scallops and a creamy pasta dish is sensual and sexy. How can you tell I love food?
I started by putting 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of butter in a saute pan over medium heat. When it just started bubbling, I added the scallops and cooked a couple of minutes a side. You are just looking for them to get translucent and cooked through, you do not want to brown them. Put the scallops in a bowl and set aside.
I put the Parmesan, Romano and cream cheese in a bowl so they could all be added at once. I measured the cream so it was ready to pour. Put enough water to boil the pasta in a large pot and bring it to a boil with a bit of salt. While the water is heating, put another large pot over low heat.
When the water reaches a boil, put the pasta in and cover. Put the butter and garlic powder in the other pot. When it has melted, add the cream and whisk.
Drain the pasta and add it to the cheese sauce with the scallops. Stir the pasta to coat it well.
Plate and serve!
This is such a great dish for a romantic evening. The pasta is tender but has a good bite, the cream sauce is rich and silky and the scallops have a great tenderness and flavour.
The Old Fat Guy
- 20 medium scallops
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 190 grams (6.7 ounces) fettucine - about 1/2 box
- 100 ml (1/2 cup) heavy cream
- 60 ml (1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp) butter
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) garlic powder
- 60 ml (1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp) grated parmesan
- 25 ml (2 tbsp) grated Romano cheese (use ementhal if not available)
- 8 ml (1 1/2 tsp) cream cheese
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add the 15 ml (1 tbsp) of butter. When it just starts to bubble, add the scallops and cook for a couple of minutes per side until just translucent and cooked through.
- Put the scallops in a bowl and set aside.
- Put salted water on to boil to cook the Fettuccine per the package instructions.
- While the water is heating, put a large pot over low heat.
- When the water is boiling, add the fettuccine and cover.
- Add the 60 ml butter and garlic powder to the large pot. When it is melted, add the cream. Cook for 2 minutes and then add the cheeses.
- Stir the sauce continuously until the pasta is cooked to al dente.
- Drain the pasta and add it and the scallops to the sauce. Stir to coat.
- Plate and serve.