I have been reading about classic cocktails. The Martinez Cocktail goes back to the mid 1800’s in California and is believed to be the precursor to the martini. I figured I would look distinguished drinking a cocktail with that kind of pedigree. She Who Must Be Obeyed assured me I was wrong.
The recipe for this cocktail is at the end of the post.
I started by getting the ingredients together. I cut a one inch piece of lemon zest.
I poured all the ingredients except the lemon zest into a cocktail shaker 1/2 full of ice. Stir until very cold.
Strain into the glass. Twist the zest over the drink and then rub it around the rim of the glass.
Serve and enjoy!
This is a strongly flavoured cocktail that won’t suit everyone’s taste. The sweet vermouth gives a floral taste. The maraschino adds a sweetness. The bitters give a sour counterpoint. I liked it but it is a flavour burst! Try one.
The Old Fat Guy
- 35 ml (1 1/2 ounce) gin
- 35 ml (1 1/2 ounce) sweet vermouth
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) maraschino
- 2 dashes bitters
- 1 piece lemon zest
- Put cocktail glasses in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Put all the ingredients except the lemon zest in a cocktail shaker 1/2 full of ice.
- Stir until very cold.
- Strain into a cocktail glass.
- Twist lemon zest over drink and rub the rim with the zest. Discard the zest.