Sometimes you don’t want fancy, you just want good home cooking. Bacon Fried Potatoes are good home cooking.
I started with 3 cups of cubed potatoes. I put them in a microwave safe casserole and just covered them with water. I put the lid on the casserole and microwaved them on high until the were tender. For this dish, cook them until the are tender. You want them to break up a little while frying. It took about 15 minutes here but that will vary with the power of your microwave and altitude.
While the potatoes were cooking, I fried two strips of bacon (I cut them in half so they curl less). I cooked them until they were just about crisp. If you over crisp them, they don’t cut as well and you won’t get those nice bacon chunks in the potatoes.
I sliced the bacon crosswise into 1/8 inch pieces.
I put the pan with the bacon drippings over medium heat and added the potatoes and 1 cup coarsely chopped onions. I like red onions for looks but any onion is fine.
I fried until there started to be a nice brown colour to the potatoes. The potatoes will want to start sticking to the pan a little. Make sure you scrape up those brown bits that stick to the pan while they are frying. They are what give the potatoes the colour and flavour. I fried mine for about 5 minutes.
I stirred in the bacon and added the pepper and fried for 1 more minute.
We served ours with Old Fat Guy Smoked Shortribs and coleslaw.
These are easy and tasty. They are not fancy but I feel like I am eating a good meal made by mom.
The Old Fat Guy
- 750 ml (3 cups) cubed potatoes
- 2 strips bacon
- 250 ml (1 cup) coarse chopped onions
- pepper to taste
- Put the potatoes in a casserole and just cover with water. Put a lid on the casserole and microwave until the potatoes are tender (about 15 minutes)
- Fry the bacon until it is just about crisp.
- Cut the bacon crosswise to 1/8 inch pieces.
- Heat the bacon fat in the fry pan you cooked the bacon in over medium heat.
- Add the potatoes and onions.
- Stir until there is a nice brown colour (about 5 minutes).
- Make sure you scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan while you are frying.
- Add the bacon and the pepper.
- Fry for one more minute.