It was time to make another cocktail. We tried a French 75 which dates back to early 1900s in Paris. Apparently, it was called the French 75 in comparison to a 75 mm cannon. Sounds like my kind of drink!
We put the lemon juice, simple syrup and gin in a cocktail shaker half filled with ice.
I shook it hard until the shaker was frosted. The cocktail was strained into the glass and was topped with the champagne.
The drink was garnished with a twist of lemon zest.
We made two versions of this drink. One with gin and the second with rum. The gin version was superior in the opinion of the missus, my friend and myself.
The gin version was delicious. It has a nice fresh taste with not too much tart from the lemon. We really liked this.
The Old Fat Guy
- 15 ml (1/2 ounce) lemon juice
- 15 ml (1/2 ounce) simple syrup (2 parts sugar dissolved in 1 part water)
- 25 ml (1 ounce) gin
- 75 ml (3 ounces) champagne or sparkling white wine
- twist of lemon zest
- Put the lemon juice, simple syrup and gin in a cocktail shaker 1/2 filled with ice.
- Shake hard until the shaker is frosty.
- Strain the cocktail into a glass.
- Top with the champagne and garnish with a twist of lemon zest.