Time for more of Linda’s Sourdough Biscuits. However, I wanted to try something different. I folded cheese in for Sourdough Cheese Biscuits.
I mixed the flours, baking soda, salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
I cut the cold butter into the flour with a pastry blender until the mixture was the size of peas.
I added the sourdough starter and mixed until it was a ragged dough.
I turned the dough out onto a floured counter and pressed it to 3/4 inch thick. I spread the cheese over the top of the dough.
I folded the dough in half and pressed it flat. I turned it a quarter turn, folded it in half and pressed it flat again. Repeat until you have pressed the dough flat ten times.
Press the dough to 3/4 inch thick and cut the biscuits out with a biscuit cutter or a glass.
Bake the biscuits for 12 to 15 minutes at 425 F. Take them off the cookie sheet with a spatula.
I love the combination of sourdough and cheese. There is a nice cheddar taste and the texture is moist and delicate. These will make the best breakfast sandwiches.
The Old Fat Guy
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Cut the margarine in with a pastry blender or two knives until it is the size of peas.
- Add the sourdough starter and mix just until it starts to hold together. Don’t worry about a few loose bits.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and press to 3/4 inch thick.
- Spread cheese over dough. Fold dough in half and press flat again. Rotate one quarter turn, fold dough in half and press flat.
- Repeat this procedure until you have pressed the dough flat 10 times.
- Flatten to 3/4 inch. Cut biscuits and put them on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the biscuits from the sheet with a spatula.