I was instructed that I was making Scalloped Potatoes. As I looked up my recipe, I realized I hadn’t posted it in Yummly format yet so I decided to do a new post and remedy that.
I started by chopping the onions, slicing the potatoes and grating the cheese. You will note I did not peel the potatoes. Peeling potatoes is throwing away food. There is great taste and nutrition in the peel. If you wish to peel the food you can but you are being wasteful. So ends the sermon.
I heated the 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When it was melted, I added the flour and stirred until combined.
I slowly poured in the milk while stirring. I stirred and cooked until the mixture started to thicken.
I added the cheeses and mixed until they were melted and combined into the sauce.
I added the salt, dry mustard, hot pepper sauce and black pepper and stirred to blend.
Remove from heat and set aside.
I greased a 10 inch casserole and put 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom.
I put 1/3 of the sauce over the potatoes followed by 1/3 of the onions.
I used 1/3 of the 3 tablespoons butter and dotted the surface with pieces of butter.
I repeated the layers twice to use up the rest of the ingredients.
I covered the casserole and put it in a 350 F oven for 30 minutes. I removed the cover and cooked for another 60 minutes.
It was served with grilled steak, spinach and broccoli salads.
There is a reason I make this over and over again. The potatoes get a great consistency and the cheese sauce is creamy without overpowering the potato taste. This is one of my standby recipes.
The Old Fat Guy
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) butter
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) flour
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) milk
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 50 ml (1/4 cup)Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 ml (1/4 teaspoon) salt
- 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) dry mustard
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1 ml (1/8 teaspoon) black pepper
- 750 ml (3 cups) potatoes, thinly sliced (about 3 medium potatoes)
- 40 ml (3 tablespoons) butter
- 250 ml (1 cup) onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Melt the 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- When it is melted, add the flour and stir until combined.
- Gradually add the milk while stirring.
- Stir over heat until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Add the cheeses and stir until melted.
- Add the salt, dry mustard, hot pepper sauce and black pepper and stir until blended.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Grease a 10 inch casserole.
- Put 1/3 of the potatoes in the casserole.
- Put 1/3 of the cheese sauce on the potatoes.
- Put 1/3 of the onions on the cheese sauce.
- Dot the surface with 1/3 of the butter.
- Repeat these layers twice more.
- Cover the casserole and put it in a 350 F oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cover and cook for 60 minutes more.
Yum, yum yum! Love Scalloped potatoes. Great recipe!
Thank you so much! It is a regular on our table.
The Old Fat Guy
My husband complains that I do not make enough potato dishes, this one would make him happy! So, next time he pleads his case for tater’s this recipe is on board.
Har! My wife always spoils me and I do what I’m told. So you may want to make him some potatoes! I hope he likes these.