We were starting to sober up so, obviously, it was time to try another classic cocktail. Today’s tipple is a Sazerac.
I had put rocks glasses in the freezer. I had put some highball glasses in the freezer for a couple of hours. I a little absinthe in each glass and rotated the glass to coat it in absinthe.
Then I put the sugar, whiskey and bitters into a cocktail shaker and added ice. I stirred until the shaker was very cold.
I strained the cocktail into the highball glasses and twisted lemon peel over them.
These are a very nice cocktail but I don’t find them any better than an Old Fashioned. When you consider the high cost of absinthe. I won’t be making these again. However, if someone offered me one, I would definitely take it.
The Old Fat Guy
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) sugar
- 3 dashes bitters
- 50 ml (2 ounces) rye whiskey
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) absinthe
- strip of lemon zest
- Chill highball glasses in freezer.
- Put absinthe in chilled glasses and rotate to coat the glass.
- Put the sugar, bitters and whiskey in a cocktail shaker and add ice.
- Stir until the shaker is very cold.
- Strain the cocktail into the glasses.
- Twist the lemon zest over the glass and drop it in.