I was raised on canned tomato soup. We had it often. It wasn’t bad but it didn’t have a lot of taste. I have had bacon in my tomato soup and it really kicks it up. As I was cutting up some home made pepperoni, it hit me, this would be even better than bacon in a tomato based soup. I had to give it a try.
I chopped up the bacon and sauteed it in a large dutch oven until it had rendered some fat and was just starting to colour. I added the pepperoni and onions and sauteed until the onions were starting to wilt and there was a nice golden fond on the bottom of the pot. I added the tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock, oregano, basil and fennel seed. I mixed the ingredients and brought it to a boil. I reduced the heat and simmered, covered, for 1 hour.
I know you have heard some dishes are better the next day. This dish really needs to cool and sit for a day. You need the time for the pepperoni to add its flavour to the soup. You won’t want to wait, it smells so good but do it. You won’t be sorry.
Reheat the soup and serve.
This is great! It is one of the best soups I have ever made. The bacon gives it a smoky undertone, the pepperoni gives a touch of spice without being hot and the herbs give it touch of Italian flavours. It is a tomato soup with a big hit of flavour! I will be making this again!
The Old Fat Guy
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chopped bacon
- 500 ml (2 cups) chopped pepperoni
- 250 ml (1 cup) chopped onion
- 796 ml (28 oz) canned tomatoes with the juice
- 156 ml (5.5 oz) tomato paste
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
- 5 ml (1 tsp) dried basil
- 3 ml (1/2 tsp) fennel seed
- Saute the bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat until the bacon gives off some fat and just starts to colour.
- Add the pepperoni and onion. Saute until the onion softens and there is a golden fond on the bottom of the Dutch oven.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Let the soup cool and then refrigerate overnight.
- Reheat and serve.
would love a big bowl of that with some white cheddar cheese it crackers in it .. try these crackers in tomato soup …
Thanks! The crackers sound delicious!
This sounds truly delicious. I perfect bowl to warm you up. Putting it on my list!
Thanks! It has a nice touch of heat with the great tomato taste!