It was Valentines Day. She Who Must Be Obeyed wanted Turkey for dinner. A true romantic bows to the whims of the woman he loves. Turkey it would be. However, turkey requires a great stuffing. I went for another level and made Italian Sausage Stuffing!
I started by putting 16 slices of bread on baking trays and put them in a 300 F oven for 20 minutes to dry them. Then I cubed them to 1/2 inch and put 6 cups of the cubes in a large bowl.
I melted 50 ml (1/4 cup) of butter in a fry pan over medium heat until it was foamy. I added 250 ml (1 cup) of diced onion and 125 ml (1/2 cup) of diced celery and sautéed until softened, about 5 minutes. I added 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) each of rosemary, sage, thyme, savory and poultry seasoning and sautéed for 1 minute longer. I put the mixture in the bowl with the bread cubes.
I put 300 grams (3/4 pounds) of Italian sausage in the fry pan and sautéed until cooked through and crumbly. I added it to the bread cubes and mixed.
I chopped 1/2 an apple that had been peeled and cored and added it to the cubes.
I added 175 ml (3/4 cup) of chicken stock into the cubes.
I put the stuffing into a covered casserole and baked at 325 F for 1 hour.
I have recorded a video of this recipe.
This is a great stuffing. It has all the seasoning notes of a traditional stuffing with a richness from the sausage which also adds some different seasoning input. The apple adds just a touch of sweetness.
It was well received by She Who Must Be Obeyed which is a good thing on Valentines Day!
The Old Fat Guy
- 16 slices bread
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) butter
- 250 ml (1 cup) chopped onion
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chopped celery
- 3 ml (1/2 tsp) savory
- 3 ml (1/2 tsp) sage
- 3 ml (1/2 tsp) poultry seasoning
- 3 ml (1/2 tsp) thyme
- 3 ml (1/2 tsp) rosemary
- 300 grams (3/4 pound) Italian sausage
- 1/2 apple, peeled, cored, chopped
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) chicken stock
- Put the bread slices on baking trays in a 300 F oven for 20 minutes.
- Cut the bread into 1/2 inch cubes. Put 1.5 litres or 6 cups of the crumbs in a large bowl.
- Heat the butter in a fry pan over medium heat until foamy.
- Sauté the celery and onion until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the savory, sage, poultry seasoning, thyme and rosemary and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Put the mixture over the bread cubes.
- Sauté the sausage breaking it down with a spoon until it is cooked through.
- Add the sausage to the bread cubes.
- Add the apple and mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the chicken stock over the bread and mix to moisten.
- Put the stuffing in a covered casserole and cook for 1 hour at 325 F.
Once I get the Italian Sausage mastered, I will have to try this. Husband would definitely enjoy this one.
It really is a nice dressing. It has a real nice flavour and texture!