Some great recipes aren’t a meal or a dessert. They are an ingredient that you can use in other dishes or just have on hand to add flavour to other dishes. Garlic Sauce is one of these. It is deep dark and garlic. What could be better!
To make my garlic sauce, I started by finely chopping the garlic. Then, I mixed together the chicken stock, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce and Sriracha sauce. Then, I mixed the cornstarch with the cold water.
I heated the oil over medium heat and added the garlic. I sauteed the garlic until it was golden brown.
I added the mixed liquid and heated until it was just starting to bubble. Then I stirred the cornstarch mixture and added it to the pan. I cooked for a few minutes until it was thickened. Remove from heat. Cool and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
This is a strong flavoured garlic sauce that can be used in stir fries, wraps, a glaze for barbecuing or anywhere you want a rich garlic flavour. I love it.
The Old Fat Guy
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) finely chopped garlic
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chicken stock
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) hoisin sauce
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) soy sauce
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) oyster sauce
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) Sriracha sauce (you may double or triple this if you want a hotter sauce)
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) cornstarch
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) cold water
- 50 ml (olive oil)
- Mix chicken stock, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce and Sriracha together.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and stir until the garlic is golden brown.
- Add the liquid mixture and heat until it just starts to bubble.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture and add to the pan.
- Stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat. Cool and store in the refrigerator.