As mentioned in my earlier post, we were hosting a bonspiel. This meant my good friends from Montana came up to visit. I had them and some other curlers over for appetizers on the day they arrived.
I did a lot of hot appetizers that I served after they arrived but it is nice to have an appetizer that can be made in advance and have it on the table when they arrive. I made Cream Cheese Shrimp Rolls.
I coarsely chopped 350 grams (12 ounces) cooked shelled shrimp. You want it in chunks, not finely chopped.
I creamed 350 grams (12 ounces) cream cheese with the paddle of my stand mixer. I beat in 75 ml (1/3 cup) seafood sauce (also known as cocktail sauce). I mixed in the chopped shrimp.
You can mix by hand with a stiff spoon, it will just take a bit longer.
I spread 1/3 of the mixture over three 10 inch flour tortillas. You can use flavoured coloured tortillas if you like. I used some sun dried tomato ones for a bit of red colour.
Put a green onion on the top edge and carefully wrap the tortilla around it. Wrap the roll in plastic wrap and seal the ends. Put the rolls in the fridge for between two and twenty four hours.
Cut the ends off the rolls and slice the centers into 1 inch (2.5 cm) slices and serve.
These are so easy but seem so fancy. They taste great with the richness of the cream cheese complimenting the shrimp and the touch of horseradish in the seafood sauce adding a mild touch of heat. They look like terrific! The best part is, you can make them ahead making them perfect for entertaining or pot luck evenings.
The Old Fat Guy
I did a video of this recipe!
- 350 grams (12 ounces) cook shelled shrimp
- 350 grams (12 ounces) cream cheese
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) seafood sauce
- 3 ten inch flour tortillas
- 3 green onions
- Coarsely chop the shrimp.
- Cream the cream cheese and beat in the seafood sauce.
- Stir in the shrimp meat.
- Spread 1/3 of the mixture over each of the tortillas.
- Put a green onion on the top of each tortilla and wrap the tortillas around the green onion.
- Wrap the rolls with plastic wrap and seal the ends. Refrigerate for two to twenty four hours.
- Cut the ends off the rolls. Cut the rolls into 1 inch (2.5 cm) slices and serve.
I am going to do these. Thanks my friend! Merry Christmas to you and your family.
I think you will like them Sharron!
Thanks David, these were one of my favs?
Thanks, Chris! They are not only tasty but easy!
Just watched these on TV Really looking forward to trying them, thanks so much, you have a great program!
You are so kind! This appetizer is one of our favourites and is so easy.