Friends were coming over for Sriracha Ribs. I needed a nice side dish I could prepare in advance so I could visit with my guests. Cornbread is a perfect choice.
I have posted a cornbread recipe before. However, that was a cornbread made with only cornmeal. This recipe is made with cornmeal and flour. The flour makes it lighter and more bread like. It is what my mom made and called Johnny Cake.
I mixed the milk and cornmeal in a small bowl and let it sit for 30 minutes.
I mixed the dry ingredients in a large bowl. I added the cornmeal mixture, the oil and the egg. Stir until combined.
I poured the batter into an 8 inch square pan.
I put it in a preheated 400 F oven for 30 minutes.
This is a nice textured cornbread that goes well with any rich meat like ribs or pulled pork. It also complements chili and stews well. It isn’t fancy but I love it.
The Old Fat Guy
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) cornmeal
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) milk
- 250 ml (1 cup) all purpose flour
- 8 ml (1 1/2 tsp) baking powder
- 3 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) sugar
- 1 egg
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Mix cornmeal and milk together. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together.
- Add the cormeal mixture, egg and oil to the flour mixture.
- Stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8 by 8 inch pan and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
- If a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, it is done. If not, give it a couple of more minutes.
- Cool and cut into 12 squares.