I love the “Chinese Food” of my youth. I suspect most Chinese mothers would cluck disapprovingly over the suggestion that the food I ate in “Chinese” restaurants when I grew up resembled anything they would serve their families. That being said, I still love it. So, when She Who Must Be Obeyed told me I had a couple of small chicken breasts that she wanted stir fried, I made Chicken Fried Rice like I used to get.
I started by cutting the chicken meat into cubes. I chopped the garlic and cut up the vegetables into chunks. The vegetables I had on hand were broccoli, carrots and peppers. Use whatever you have on hand. I had cooked the rice earlier.
I mixed the chicken stock, soy sauce, Hoisin, sherry and Sriracha sauce.
I preheated the oil in the wok until it started to smoke. I put the chicken in and stir fried until it was cooked through. I added the garlic and stir fried for another 30 seconds.
I added the vegetables and stir fried until they were cooked but still crisp.
I added the rice and liquid ingredients and stirred until the rice was heated through.
We served it with a fork but the rice in this is sticky enough to use chopsticks if you’d like.
This is tasty with a nice soy flavour, tender chicken and crispy vegetables. It is not fancy. It is not authentic. It just tastes good.
The Old Fat Guy
- 450 grams (1 pound) boneless skinless chicken meat cubed
- 500 ml (2 cups) mixed vegetables, chopped (I used broccoli, peppers and carrots).
- 500 ml (2 cups) cooked rice
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chicken stock
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) soy sauce
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) hoisin sauce
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) sherry (I used cooking sherry).
- 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) Sriracha sauce or 2 ml (1/4 teaspoon) Tabasco
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) oil
- Mix chicken stock, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sherry and Sriracha together.
- Heat oil in the wok until it starts to smoke.
- Stir fry chicken until cooked through.
- Add garlic and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add vegetables and stir fry until cooked but still crisp.
- Add rice and liquid ingredients.
- Stir until the rice is heated through.