I was invited to a pot luck dinner. I was assigned to bring a green vegetable. ARGH! If you cook a vegetable before you go, it will be either cold or mush from being kept warm too long. If you cook at the hosts home, you are in their way in their kitchen. I got around it by making a Broccoli Salad. Delicious cold green vegetables to the rescue.
I did not create this recipe. She Who Must Be Obeyed has been making this for years. She got the recipe from a friend and it is posted in several locations on the net. However, it is such an easy good recipe, it must be shared.
I coarse chopped the broccoli. I added the diced red onion, sunflower seeds, raisins, and crumbled feta cheese to it and stirred.
I mixed together the yogurt, mayonnaise, sugar and lemon juice to make the sauce.
I poured the sauce over the broccoli and tossed to coat.
I put it in a bowl with a cover and put it in the fridge for a couple of hours
This was a hit at the pot luck. It has sweet/sour notes, a creamy texture from the sauce and crunch from the broccoli. Make it. There is a reason the recipe is so wide spread.
The Old Fat Guy
- 750 ml (3 cups) broccoli florets, coarse chopped
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chopped red onion
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) sunflower seeds
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chopped raisins
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) crumbled feta cheese
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) plain low-fat yogurt
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) light mayonnaise
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) white sugar
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix broccoli, red onion, sunflower seeds, raisnins and feta in a large bowl.
- Mix yogurt, mayonnaise, white sugar and lemon juice.
- Add yogurt mixture to broccoli mixture and toss to coat.
- Let sit, covered in fridge, for 2 hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
This sounds delicious. I just agreed to bring a salad to a potluck, and I think this may just be the one.
I have taken it to several and it is very popular.