I made my own Berbere Spice mix in a previous post. This spice blend is quite hot but the background flavours to the heat are very nice. I thought the spice and complex flavours would go well with potatoes and fired up the Louisiana Grills Pellet Smoker to grill some Berbere Grilled Potatoes.
I cubed two medium potatoes, chopped 125 ml (1/2 cup) of onion and sliced a garlic clove.
I put those in an aluminum pie plate and tossed them with the olive oil and Berbere Spice.
I covered the pan in foil and put it in the smoker that had been preheated to 350 F. You could also do this in a 350 F oven. This is one time an oven is just as good as the food is sealed in foil and won’t get any smoke. However, I was cooking a salmon on the smoker anyway.
I cooked them for 45 minutes, shaking the pan a couple of times.
We had this with some nice salmon (next post) and some nice coleslaw.
These were tasty with a nice heat and complexity from the Berbere spice. She Who Must Be Obeyed said they were too spicy but she was wrong. Just don’t tell her I said she was.
The Old Fat Guy
- 2 medium potatoes cut to cubes
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) olive oil
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) Berbere spice
- Put potatoes, onion and garlic in an aluminum pie plate.
- Pour oil and spice over them and stir to coat.
- Cover the pan with foil and put in a smoker or oven preheated to 350 F.
- Uncover and serve.