An artist needs a canvas to paint on. A cook needs basic recipes to build on. We all know oil and vinegar goes well on a salad. Then we add garlic, mustard, herbs or spices to add to it. The same applies to barbecue rubs.
I developed this basic barbecue rub and base most of my home made rubs on it. It is great on its own, just like oil and vinegar on a salad. However, it also allows you to add additional flavours to change things up or to go with a particular dish. I often make a larger recipe of this and keep it in the cupboard. If I want to put herbs in to match a Rosemary Chicken, I just add them to the basic mix.
Just mix all the ingredients together and store in an airtight container.
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) paprika
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) brown sugar
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) kosher salt
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) cayenne
- Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container
Simple and tasty!
Thanks! I always like simple.