This is the second post about the bacon I produced from a full side (belly) pork slab I picked up on a trip to Montana.
I have added some molasses to my curing of bacon in the past but I am doing it a little differently in this post. Instead of mixing molasses into the cure mix, I rubbed it on the surface of the pork before applying the cure mix. Continue reading Molasses Bacon→
This is the second of the sausages I made when my friend, Marj, gave me some ground Moose. The first was German Bologna. I decided to go with another German sausage, Mettwurst for the second one. Continue reading Mettwurst→
A generous friend gave me some ground moose! Thanks, Marj. I decided to make something with it and share it with her. I decided to experiment with making German Bologna with moose. It is normally made with a combination of pork and beef but I tried pork and moose. Continue reading German Bologna→
Simone of Foodie Home Chef continued her generosity by allowing me to post this simple yet elegant dessert to my blog. Check out her great blog. She has a lot of tasty and inspiring content!
Pears with Raspberry Sauce
This tastes totally decadent, like something you’d eat in an expensive restaurant, yet it’s healthy & easy to make. It makes a wonderful breakfast, anytime snack or healthy dessert.
Serves: 2 to 4
2 ripe Bartlett pears (skin should just be starting to turn yellow)
Juice from 1/4 of an organic lemon (approx 2 tsp)
1/2 cup frozen whole red raspberries, thawed (takes about 1 hour) – plus 8 extra for serving
2 Medjool dates, pitted & chopped (see Tip# 1)
2 tsp pomegranate blueberry juice
1. Cut pears in half lengthwise, peel & core. Place them in a glass pie plate or small shallow baking dish & drizzle with lemon juice.
2. Microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes. You’ll know they’re done when they’re soft & you see some liquid in the bottom of the plate.
3. Using a slotted spoon; remove pears to your serving dishes, reserving the liquid.
4. In a blender or bullet; add the 1/2 cup raspberries, dates, pomegranate/blueberry juice & all the liquid from the cooked pears. Blend until smooth.
5. Top pears with raspberry sauce. Garnish each pear half with 2 whole raspberries & serve immediately.
Tips & Suggestions
1. Medjool dates are larger than regular dates & have a magnificent creamy caramel taste to them. You can find them in the produce section of most larger supermarkets.
She Who Must Be Obeyed picked up some boneless skinless chicken thighs and the command was given that I was cooking them. I was busy so I needed to do something quick. I made Quick Jerk Chicken Thighs. Continue reading Quick Jerk Chicken Thighs→
Have you ever seen full chicken legs on sale in the supermarket for an incredibly low price? Did you walk by? You shouldn’t! The dark meat of a chicken leg is perfect for Piri Piri spices. It really stands up well to the strong flavours. Continue reading Piri Piri Chicken Legs→
I felt like a great appetizer. One with bacon and jalapeño peppers. However, I wanted She Who Must Be Obeyed to enjoy it as well. A sure way to get her to like it is to introduce shrimp. So, I made Coffin Shrimp.