She Who Must Be Obeyed loves salmon. I love She Who Must Be Obeyed so I keep trying to up my salmon game. I love smoking salmon and a touch of sweet really adds to it. I decided it might be good with a touch of spicy heat and this is the result.
I started with a couple of nice pieces of wild caught sockeye fillet.
Then I made up a glaze for the salmon:
- 25 ml (2 tbsp) honey
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) paprika
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) dried ginger
- 10 ml (2 tsp) soy sauce
- 0.5 ml to 2 ml (1/8 to 1/2 tsp) Sriracha sauce (can substitute Hot Pepper Sauce)
Use the lesser amount of Sriracha for just a touch of heat and the larger amount for a real kick.
I preheated my smoker to 200 F and put the salmon on. You can do this in a 200 F oven but it won’t have the smoke flavour. I cooked the salmon until the internal temperature was 110 F. The time will vary depending on the thickness of the fillets. It took about an hour on these.
I brushed the salmon with the glaze and cooked to an internal temperature of 130 F which took about another 30 minutes. I brushed again with glaze and smoked for 20 minutes.
I served the salmon with oven fries and coleslaw.
This turned out wonderfully. The salmon had a nice kiss of smoke the honey made a wonderful glaze and the touch of heat just set it all off. Best of all, She Who Must Be Obeyed liked it!
I have done a video of this recipe.
The Old Fat Guy
- 2 single serving salmon fillets
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) honey
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) paprika
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) dried ginger
- 10 ml (2 teaspoon) soy sauce
- 0.5 to 2 ml (1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha or hot pepper sauce
- Preheat an oven or smoker to 200 F.
- Mix all ingredients except salmon together to make a glaze.
- Cook salmon to an internal temperature of 110 F (about an hour depending on size of fillet).
- Brush salmon with glaze..
- Cook to an internal temperature of 130 F (about 1/2 hour depending on size of fillet).
- Brush salmon with glaze.
- Cook for 20 minutes.