When you first start cooking you just want good food and you follow recipes that have been tested. However, as you become more proficient, you want to make recipes that suit your tastes. These cookies are an example of that. I like molasses, raisins, nuts and oatmeal in my cookies. I like them chewy and moist. Welcome to Old Fat Guy Cookies.
I started by preheating my oven to 375 F then mixing the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and salt together in a bowl.
I put the butter in the bowl of my stand mixer and beat to cream. I mixed the brown sugar and sugar together. I mixed it into the butter in three portions, mixing after each.
I added an egg and beat well. I added the molasses, milk and vanilla and mixed to combine.
Stir in the dry ingredients to make a soft cookie dough.
Stir in the oatmeal, nuts and raisins.
I sprayed cookie sheets with baking spray and dropped the dough by teaspoons onto the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes until set.
Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing.
These are adult cookies (I’m sure a kid wouldn’t turn them down). The have a complex molasses sweet with a nice spicy hit. Think soft ginger snaps. The oatmeal gives a bit of a bite and the nuts and raisin give a nice complexity to the taste. These are my kind of cookie!
I have done a video of making these:
The Old Fat Guy
- 340 ml (1 1/3 cup) flour
- 4 ml (1 scant tsp) baking powder
- 3 ml (1/2 tsp) baking soda
- 3 ml (1/2 tsp) ginger
- 4 ml (1 scant tsp) cinnamon
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) butter
- 40 ml (3 tbsp) sugar
- 40 ml (3 tbsp) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 90 ml (1/3 cup + 1 tbsp) molasses
- 35 ml (2 tbsp + 2 tsp) milk
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) vanilla
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) oatmeal
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) chopped nuts
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt together in a bowl.
- Cream butter in a stand mixer.
- Mix sugars together. Add in three portions to butter and beat after each addition.
- Add the egg and beat.
- Add the molasses, milk and vanilla. Mix to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix to make a soft cookie dough.
- Add the oatmeal, nuts and raisins. Mix to combine.
- Spray baking sheets with baking spray. Drop the dough with a spoon two inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until set to touch.
- Let cool for 5 minute on trays.