My favourite pastry is made from the recipe on the Tenderflake Lard box. It has no fancy ingredients and guess what! It is tender and flaky. Truth in advertising. I have done a video of me making it.
The Old Fat Guy
Tenderflake Lard Pastry
- 1.4 litre (5 1/2 cup) all purpose flour
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) salt
- 454 grams (1 pound) Tenderflake Lard
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) vinegar
- 225 ml (7/8 cup) ice water
- Mix salt and flour together.
- Cut lard into flour with a pastry blender until the size of peas.
- Mix vinegar and egg in a 1 cup measure. Fill the measure with ice water and mix.
- Stir in just enough water mixture to bring the dough together yet be a little crumbly.
- Make into 3 disks (each disk will make two 9 inch single pie crusts)
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. The dough can be stored for a few days in the fridge.