I was getting together with friends on a trip to watch a football game. We had rented a house and we wanted to stay in for a meal. I needed something I could make at home, carry in the cooler and would be good reheated. I immediately thought of Spaghetti and Meatballs. They are always better the next day.
The star of this meal is the meatballs. You need a well flavoured meatball that holds together but isn’t rubbery. I use a lot of seasonings and a touch of milk powder I thing gives a better texture.
This isn’t a fancy dish, it is just a good family meal that makes a lot of meatballs and sauce that can be frozen for future use.
I started by making the meatballs.
I put the fennel seeds and bay leaf in a coffee grinder I use for spices. I ground them to a coarse powder.
Then I added the rest of the meatball ingredients and mixed just until well blended.
I rolled the meat mixture into golf ball sized meatballs and browned them in batches and set them aside.
I mixed the sauce ingredients together in a large electric pan set at 250 F. You can also use a large Dutch oven.
Mix the gravy ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to simmer. Add the meatballs and simmer for 2 hours.
You can make this a day or so ahead and reheat it for a meal. It also freezes well.
Serve it with spaghetti cooked according to the package directions and grated Parmesan.
This is nothing fancy. It is just tasty meatballs in a simple Italian tomato gravy. It is also the definition of comfort food.
The Old Fat Guy
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoon) fennel seed
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) dry bread crumbs
- 500 grams (1 pound) ground beef
- 500 grams (1 pound) ground pork
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) grated parmesan cheese
- 5 ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt
- 2 ml (1/4 teaspoon) pepper
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried oregano
- 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) dried thyme
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried basil
- 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) ground coriander
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) paprika
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) dried milk powder
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) lemon juice
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) sugar
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) dry red wine
- 2 cans (796 ml/28 oz) ground or puree tomatos
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) dried parsley
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 250 grams (1/2 pound) sliced mushrooms
- 250 ml (1 cup) red wine
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) dried basil
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) dried oregano
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) salt
- 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) pepper
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- Grind the fennel seeds and bay leaf to a coarse powder.
- Mix all the meatball ingredients together, just until mixed.
- Form into golf ball sized meatballs.
- Brown in batches over medium high heat and set aside.
- Mix the gravy ingredients together.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
- Add the meatballs and simmer for 2 hours.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti with grated Parmesan Cheese