Most muffins you buy are large and cake like. They are closer to a dessert than a snack or quick breakfast. I like smaller old fashioned muffins. However, some people don’t go for the healthy bran muffins or the like.
These muffins are made with oatmeal which has some fibre but still gives a nice cake like texture.
I make them with haskaps because they are a berry that is hardy here in the mountains but they are equally good with blueberries.
Preheat an oven to 400F.
I put lemon juice in the bottom of a 1 cup measure and then filling it with milk. I mixed that with the oatmeal and let it sit for an hour.
I added the brown sugar, eggs and oil to the oatmeal mixture.
I mixed the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. I mixed that into the oatmeal mixture just until all is combined. Don’t over mix.
Fold the berries into the batter.
Spread the batter between 12 muffin pan cups that have been sprayed with baking spray.
Bake the muffins for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes and take them out.
These had a nice moist cake type consistency with just the right amount of sweet and a great touch of tart from the berries.
If you would like to see me make them, I made a video of this cook.
The Old Fat Guy
- 25 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 250 ml (1 cup) oatmeal (not instant)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) brown sugar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) flour
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking powder
- 3 ml (1/2 tsp) baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) haskaps or blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Put lemon juice in the bottom of a 250 ml (1 cup) measure. Pour milk in to the 250 ml (1 cup) measure.
- Mix the milk mixture and oatmeal in a bowl and let sit for 1 hour.
- Add the eggs, brown sugar and oil and mix.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the oatmeal mixture and stir just until combined.
- Fold the berries in.
- Spray a muffin pan with baking spray.
- Divide the batter into 12 muffin cups.
- Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.