She Who Must Be Obeyed makes the best relish. We don’t buy relish in the store anymore as hers is so good. A second plus is that it is made with zucchini. As anyone who grows zucchini knows, it is a good thing to have another good zucchini recipe.
I don’t know where we got the recipe. It is one of those an a ratty old piece of paper stuffed in her recipe box. Whoever created it, thank you!
I will apologize right now for the lack of pictures. She Who Must Be Obeyed assures me I will suffer great bodily harm if I get in her way while cooking or publish any pictures of her. So, I will just print the recipe. I encourage you to try it. We love it.
- 1 litre (4 cups) zucchini, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) red pepper, chopped
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) green pepper, chopped
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) pickling salt
- 325 ml (1 1/2 cups) cold water
- 250 ml (1 cup) sugar
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) flour
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) dry mustard
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) tumeric
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) mustard seeds
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) celery seeds
- 250 ml (1 cup) white vinegar
- Mix the zucchini, onion and peppers.
- Sprinkle with the salt.
- Add 250 ml (1 cup) of the cold water and mix.
- Let sit for 1 hour, mixing occasionally.
- Put the vegetables in a colander and rinse well with cold water.
- Press to remove most of the moisture.
- Mix the sugar, flour, mustard, tumeric, mustard seeds and celery seeds in a large microwave save bowl.
- Slowly whisk in the vinegar and remaining 125 ml (1/2 cup) water.
- Mix in the vegetables.
- Microwave on high for 17 to 20 minutes, stirring twice.
- You are looking for a thickened consistency with the vegetables still crunchy.
- Sterilize four 250 ml (1 cup) canning jars.
- Put the relish in the jars and affix canning lids per the manufacturer's instructions.
- Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath (20 minutes at high altitude).