I like a touch of sweet and savoury with my salmon. My favourite salmon recipe is brined, and then coated with honey and peppercorns. She Who Must Be Obeyed picked up a salmon fillet and wanted it for dinner. I didn’t have time to brine so, I invented Sweetened Salmon on my Louisiana Grills Pellet Smoker.
I started by mixing mustard, mayonnaise and honey together. I rubbed that on the fillet and generously sprinkled Louisiana Grills Tennessee Apple Butter. You could use any rub you like as long as it has a lot of sweetness.
I put the salmon in the pellet smoker that had been preheated 350 F oven. You could cook it in an oven but it won’t have the hint of smoke I like.
The length of time to smoke will vary with the thickness of the salmon. This fillet was about 3/4 inch thick at the widest portion and took 25 minutes to get to an internal temperature of 150 F which is the way I like my salmon.
We served it with a green salad and whole wheat garlic bread.
This turned out very well. The Tennessee Apple Butter has a great sweet/savoury blend and the salmon was moist and tasty.
The Old Fat Guy
- 500 gram (1 pound) salmon fillet
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) mayonnaise
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) prepared mustard
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) honey
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) Louisiana Grills Tennessee Apple butter or other sweet barbecue rub
- Mix the mayonnaise, mustard and honey together.
- Spread the mixture on the salmon.
- Sprinkle the rub over the salmon.
- Put skin side down in a 350 F smoker or oven.
- Cook to an internal temperature of 150 F (about 25 minutes)