She Who Must Be Obeyed announced she wanted brochettes for dinner. This is no problem, I love brochettes. I found some boneless skinless chicken breasts in the fridge and fired up the Louisiana Grills Pellet Smoker.
I mixed up the glaze ingredients.
I cut the chicken to 1 inch cubes. I sprinkled Louisiana Grills Chicken Seasoning on them and put them on bamboo skewers that had been soaked in water for 1/2 hour.
I brushed them with the glaze and put them on the grill that had been preheated to 350 F. You can put them on a rack over a tray in a 350 F oven or cook by the indirect method in a barbecue.
After 15 minutes, I turned them and brushed with the glaze.
I smoked for 15 minutes and brushed with glaze twice more for a total of 45 minutes. I gave them a last brush of glaze and smoked for 5 more minutes.
We served it with Easy Vegetable Brochettes (next post), rice and deli style coleslaw.
Hoisin has a wonderful deep sweet flavour that could overpower chicken. I think the lemon juice gives this a freshness that offsets the sweetness. It makes a great balance and I really recommend this glaze.
The Old Fat Guy
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) Hoisin sauce
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) soy sauce
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) chili sauce (may substitute all or part Asian chili sauce for spicier version)
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) lemon juice
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) ground ginger
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) chicken seasonings or rub (use any brand you like)
- 500 grams (1 pound) boneless chicken meat (thighs or breasts)
- Mix Hoisin, soy sauce, chili sauce, lemon juice and ginger in a bowl.
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes.
- Toss the chicken with the chicken seasonings or rub.
- Put the chicken pieces on 3 bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water for 1/2 hour.
- Brush the chicken with the glaze and put it in a smoker that has been preheated to 350 F. You can also cook them on a rack over a tray in a 350 F oven or indirectly on a barbecue.
- After 15 minutes, turn and brush the chicken.
- Turn and brush the chicken twice more at 15 minutes intervals for a total smoke time of 45 minutes.
- Brush the chicken one last time and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Make sure the internal temperature of the chicken is over 165 F and serve.