She Who Must Be Obeyed wanted wings. We both love wings but she doesn’t like them sticky, she likes them cooked a little crisp. Guess which way we usually have them. So, dry it was going to be but I still wanted the kick of a sauce so I decided to try a Piri Piri sauce on them and smoke them on the Louisiana Grills pellet smoker.. Welcome to Piri Piri Wings.
I mixed up all ingredients except the chicken wings. I used a cooking syringe to inject some sauce under the skin of each chicken wing segment.
Then I tossed the wings in the remaining sauce and let them sit in the fridge for an hour.
I preheated the pellet grill to 325 F and put the wings on.
I flipped the wings after 30 minutes and brushed with the sauce left in the bowl. Do NOT brush with the sauce after this as it is contaminated from being in contact with raw chicken.
Smoke them for 20 more minutes and serve.
These satisfied both of us. The skin of the chicken had a great texture that She Who Must Be Obeyed liked and the sauce had the nice lemon/spice taste of the Piri Piri. These were excellent wings.
The Old Fat Guy
- 22 ml (1 1/2 tablespoon) olive oil
- 22 ml (1 1/2 tablespoon) lemon juice
- 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) garlic powder
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) paprika
- 1 ml (1/8 teaspoon) cayenne (up to 1/2 teaspoon for very hot)
- 1 ml (1/8 teaspoon) salt
- 1 ml (1/8 teaspoon) pepper (fine grind)
- 12 chicken wing segments
- Mix all ingredients except chicken wing segments.
- With a cooking syringe, inject some sauce under the skin of each chicken wing segment.
- Toss the chicken wings in the remaining sauce and marinate in the fridge for an hour.
- Put the wings on a smoker preheated to 325 F or on a rack over a tray in a 325 F oven.
- Cook for 30 minutes and turn the wings.
- Brush with the sauce left in the marinating bowl. Do NOT brush after this as the sauce is contaminated from being in contact with raw chicken.
- Cook for 20 minutes longer and serve.