Here was the situation, She Who Must Be Obeyed said “I’ve got pork rib end chops out.” Allow me to translate. That means “You are cooking pork loin chops for supper.”
Normally, this would be no problem. I would season them, fire up the grill and put a nice sauce on them. Indeed, I have spent time in sub zero weather all winter to satisfy my barbecue craving. Spring is here and there is still snow in my yard but the temperatures have climbed to double digit. So one would think I was going to fire up the grill or smoker. Wrong.
Our old toaster oven started turning itself on. So we bought a new one. I wanted to see how it worked as an oven. So I baked the chops. I didn’t have a lot of time so I made a simple breading but upped the taste by using a honey mustard mixture as a binder for the breading.
Welcome to Honey Mustard Chops.
I started by mixing one teaspoon of Louisiana Grills Tennessee Apple Butter Seasoning into bread crumbs. You can use any seasoning you like (Italian, Cajun, Greek, Barbecue Rub, etc).
Then, I mixed together Miracle Whip, honey and prepared mustard.
I smeared the binding mixture over the pork rib chops. You can use any style pork chop you like.
Then I rolled the chops in the breadcrumb mixture.
I put the chops on a baking tray sprayed with baking spray. I put them in a preheated 350 F oven for 45 minutes.
We served them with red wild rice, coleslaw and a spinach salad (ok, I know you are jealous but you can make a meal this good, too.)
The coating on these ribs was crisp with a nice sweet mustard taste. The pork was moist tender. We really enjoyed it. It didn’t hurt that it was very easy and quick.
The Old Fat Guy
- 6 pork chops, 1/2 inch thick
- 500 ml (2 cups) dry bread crumbs
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) seasoning mix (Italian, Greek, Cajun, BBQ rub, or your favourite)
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) Miracle Whip salad dressing
- 8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoon) honey
- 8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoon) prepared mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix bread crumbs and seasoning mix together on a plate.
- Mix the Miracle Whip, honey and mustard together.
- Rub honey/mustard mix over pork chops.
- Roll the chops in the bread crumb mixture to coat.
- Put the chops on a baking tray sprayed with baking spray and bake for 45 minutes.