I wanted a treat for breakfast. I also wanted another sourdough recipe. So, I modified Linda’s Sourdough Biscuit recipe to make Sourdough Cinnamon Biscuits.
I preheated the oven to 425 F.
I mixed the sugars, flour and cinnamon. I cut in the butter with a pastry blender.
I peeled and chopped the apples.
I mixed the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. I cut in the butter with a pastry blender until crumbly.
I added the sourdough starter and stirred to make a shaggy dough. I turned the dough onto a floured surface and kneaded it 5 times to form a ball.
Roll the dough into a 12 by 9 inch rectangle.
I spread the sugar mixture over the rectangle leaving one inch from a long edge uncovered. Then spread the apple and nuts.
Roll the rectangle from the long edge towards the uncovered edge. Press the dough into a tight cylinder and flatten the ends.
Slice the cylinder into one inch slices and put on baking sheets sprayed with baking spray.
Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
Remove from the baking sheet while still warm.
These are delicious. There is a nice crisp exterior with a flaky soft biscuit interior. You could ice them but the filling gives just the right sweetness in my opinion. The apple/sugar filling is delicious. She Who Must Be Obeyed has informed me I will make these again. She must be obeyed.
The Old Fat Guy
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) sugar
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) flour
- 20 ml (4 teaspoons) cinnamon
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) butter, cold
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) apple, chopped
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) pecans, chopped
- 180 grams (6.4 ounces) all purpose flour (375 ml or 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) baking soda
- 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) baking powder
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) butter, cold
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) sourdough starter
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Mix the sugar, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon together.
- Cut the 50 ml (1/4 cup) butter into chunks and blend into sugar mixture with a pastry blender or two knives until crumbly.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder together.
- Cut the 125 ml (1/2 cup) of butter into chunks and cut into the flour mixture until crumbly.
- Add the sourdough starter and stir to make a ragged dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead 5 times to make a ball.
- Roll the dough into a 9 inch by 12 inch rectangle.
- Spread the sugar mixture over the rectangle leaving an inch on a long edge.
- Spread the chopped apples over the rectangle.
- Spread the pecans over the rectangle.
- Roll the dough starting with the long edge away from the edge with no topping.
- Form into a tight cylinder.
- Spray 2 baking sheets with baking spray.
- Cut the dough with a very sharp knife into one inch thick slices.
- Put slices on baking sheets allowing at least 1 1/2 inches for expansion.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from baking sheets while still warm.