When I make bacon, the end pieces are strongly smoked and aren’t nice cooked on their own. So, I decided to use them to make Bacon Barley Soup. Don’t worry if you don’t smoke your own bacon, you could substitute regular bacon or back (Canadian to Americans) bacon.
I started by heating the oil up over medium heat in a large pot. I added the bacon and sauteed until it started to colour. Then I added the onion and sauteed until a nice dark fond (a coating on the bottom of the pan) starts to form. Then I added the garlic and the herbs and sauteed just for a few seconds until the herbs started to give off a nice smell.
Then I added the chicken stock, soy sauce and Sriracha sauce. I brought the soup to a boil and then reduced the heat to a simmer. I simmered it for an hour.
Then I added the green beans and the pot barley and simmered for another 45 minutes.
Here is the finished product.
This turned out great. The smokiness of the bacon adds a wonderful complexity to the soup together with the saltiness and touch of spice from the Sriracha. I will be making this again.
The Old Fat Guy
- 250 ml (1 cup) bacon or back (Canadian) bacon, 1/4 inch dice
- 250 ml (1 cup) onion, cut in half lengthwise and then sliced.
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried thyme
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried basil
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried oregano
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried savory
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) chicken stock (low salt is best)
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) soy sauce
- 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) Sriracha sauce
- 250 ml (1 cup) chopped vegetables of your choice (I used green beans)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) pot barley
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Sautee the bacon just until it starts to colour. If using regular bacon, drain off excess fat.
- Add the onion and sautee until a dark (not black) fond (coating on the bottom of the pan) forms.
- Add the garlic and herbs. Sautee for a few seconds until the herbs give a nice fragrance.
- Add the chicken stock, soy sauce and Sriracha sauce.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for an hour.
- Add the vegetables and barley. Simmer for 45 minutes.