My friend, Bill, had seen an Anthony Bourdain show where he was in Brazil and they served this drink. He had wanted one ever since. As I had posted a couple of cocktail posts, he searched out and found a bottle of Cachaca which is the liquor base of this cocktail. He came over and we made our first Caipirinha.
The recipe is at the bottom of the post.
I started by cutting limes in half and then each half into 4 quarters.
Then, I added 10 ml (2 teaspoons) brown sugar to each highball glass. Four of the wedges went into each glass. I used a wooden pestle to mash the limes into the brown sugar.
I added 50 ml (1/4 cup) of Cachaca to each glass with two large ice cubes and stirred until well chilled.
Serve it up!
There are advantages to having a quirky friend. This is a really good drink on a hot day. It is somewhere between a daiquiri and a margarita. However, I will warn you. She Who Must Be Obeyed was a little strange after drinking this. I will definitely have to make them again.
The Old Fat Guy
- 1/2 lime cut into quarters
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) brown sugar
- 2 large ice cubes
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) cachaca (a Brazilian cane sugar liquor)
- Put the brown sugar in a highball glass.
- Put the lime in the highball glass and use a muddler to mash the limes.
- Add the ice cubes then the cachaca.
- Stir until cold.