She Who Must Be Obeyed found this recipe many years ago in the Reader’s Digest. It is an easy dessert we love.
Here is the recipe:
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Blue Bonnet Margarine
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) sugar, divided
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 500 ml (2 cups) all purpose flour
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) baking powder
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) baking soda
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) sour cream
- 500 ml (2 cups) fresh or frozen blueberries
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) lightly packed brown sugar
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) all purpose flour
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) chopped almonds
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) Blue Bonnet Margarine
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) cinnamon
- Cream thoroughly margarine, 250 ml (1 cup) of the sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture and sour cream alternatively to creamed mixture, ending with flour. The batter will be fairly thick.
- Combine the blueberries with the remaining 50 ml (1/4 cup) sugar.
- Spread 1/2 the batter in a greased 25 cm (10 inch) springform pan. Sprinkle with blueberries and spread remaining batter over top.
- Combine the topping ingredients and spread over the batter.
- Bake at 180 C (350 F) For 50 to 55 minutes. Serve warm or cool.
This is an adult dessert (the missus says that means I shouldn’t like it). It has a moist rich flavour without being incredibly sweet. The sour cream gives it a nice body and the blueberries give it a fresh flavour. We love it.
The Old Fat Guy