We Had Fun Making a Video
I was out of Bratwurst. This was an unacceptable condition. I just love these flavourful sausages.
So, my friend came over and he filmed me making a batch.
- 10 feet hog casings, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 3 pounds fatty pork shoulder, weighed after boning
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, weighed after boning but skin left on
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons coarse pepper
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons mace
- Keep the meat cold at all times.
- Grind the pork and chicken through a medium plate.
- Mix the spices in thoroughly by folding the meat over by hand for at least 4 minutes.
- Test fry the meat to make sure the seasonings are right.
- Stuff the meat into the hog casings.
- Twist off to 6 inch lengths.
- To serve, poach the sausage for 10 minutes and grill or fry to brown.
- Eat in 48 hours or freeze.
These are terrific sausages. They have lots of seasoned flavour without being spicy. However, there must be something genetic. All my guy friends love bratwurst. She Who Must Be Obeyed and most ladies aren’t as keen on them.
So guys, get together have a bratwurst and beer day!
The Old Fat Guy