My Mother Made Me Do It
All the people of my age consumed vast quantities of cream of mushroom soup. Our mothers used it in casseroles, mixed with tuna on toast and a myriad other recipes. Mostly, it was gloppy and somewhat tasteless. However, sometimes you just crave that creamy texture. Here is my updated version of Meatballs in Mushroom Gravy using cream of mushroom soup.
Here is the recipe:
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can low salt condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup beef stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- Mix bread crumbs, wine, egg, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, Parmesan and mustard.
- Add the mixture to the beef and mix well. Form the beef into 1 inch balls.
- Heat the oil in a large fry pan at medium high heat. Brown the meatballs on all sides. Take the meatballs out and set aside.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir until boiling. Add meatballs and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
This took me back to the dinners after mom got home from work. However, this has a lot more flavour and is better suited to my adult tastes. I make this from time to time when I want to feel like a kid again. I love it.
The Old Fat Guy