In a prior post, I made Chorizo. The impetus was a suggestion from my friend, Bill, that enchiladas made from Chorizo might be good. It had to be done. This is my post of our efforts. The recipe and a video of the making of the enchiladas is included at the end of the post.
Enchilada sauce has a lot of flavour. Chorizo has a lot of flavour. Put the two together and you have a taste sensation. Lots of spice without burning, rich tomato flavour and a wonderful gooey texture.
Thanks for the inspiration, Bill. This is great.
Here is the video of me cooking this dish.
The Old Fat Guy
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 3/4 cup Onion fine chop
- 1 clove Garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp plus one tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 2 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Lime juice
- 1 1/2 pound chorizo
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 3/4 cup pepper, sliced
- 2 Jalapeno pepper fine chop
- 1 can refried beans
- 6 tortillas 8 inch diameter
- 1 3/4 cup Old cheddar cheese grated
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chili powder, coriander, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper and stir constantly until the spices give a strong odour, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and lime juice. Bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the peppers and jalapeno and stir until just starting to get soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chorizo. Fry and stir until there is no more pink and the chorizo is crumbly.
- Put a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of an 11 by 9 inch casserole. Put a spoonful of sauce on a tortilla. Spread 1 1/2 tablespoon of refried beans on top. Add 1/6 of the chorizo. Top the chorizo with cheese. Roll up and put in the casserole. Repeat with all the tortillas.
- Put the remaining tomato sauce over the enchiladas in the casserole. Cover with foil and put in a 375 F oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and spread the remaining cheese over the enchiladas. Put it back in the oven, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes and serve. It will be ooey gooey, just the way I like it.