I love soup. We have snow here in the Canadian Rockies and it is cold. Soup just makes a day warmer.
This soup is one of my favourites as it lets me use ingredients I often have around. There is just She Who Must Be Obeyed and I here so, when I buy or make cured sausage like pepperoni, summer sausage, or mettwurst, I usually have more than we are likely to use in a reasonable period.
I also make a lot of bacon. I get ragged trimmings when I slice the bacon. Both these are great ingredient for soups. Also, when you change the sausage, you totally change the taste of the soup so you can use this recipe to make many different soups.
In this recipe, I used some home made summer sausage. Pepperoni or Adouille make a spicier soup. Garlic sausage and Mettwurst make a rich milder soup. Experiment with your favourite cured sausage (kids love it with wieners).
I started by sauteing 250 ml (1 cup) fine diced bacon. You can use store bought bacon if you don’t make your own. When it was just starting to brown, I added 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) diced onion, 250 ml (1 cup) diced carrots and 500 ml (2 cups) diced cured sausage. Saute unti the onion is transparent and the carrots start to soften.
Add 1.2 litres (5 cups) chicken stock 796 ml (28 oz) canned diced tomatoes with liquid, 156 ml (5.5 oz) tomatoe paste, and 10 ml (2 teaspoons) Italian seasoning blend. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add 250 ml (1 cup) diced green beans and cook for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
The broth of this soup has a great tomato background flavour and the sausage adds a great rich seasoned taste. The bacon gives a touch of smokiness while the vegetables give a great bite. This is a soup guaranteed to make any day warmer.
The Old Fat Guy
- 250 ml (1 cup) bacon, diced small dice
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cup) onion, diced
- 250 ml (1 cup) carrots, diced
- 500 ml (2 cups) cured sausage, diced
- 1.2 litres (5 cups) chicken stock
- 796 ml (28 oz) canned diced tomatoes with liquid
- 156 ml (5.5 oz) tomato paste
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) Italian seasonings
- 250 ml (1 cup) diced green beans
- Saute bacon over medium heat in a large pot until almost brown.
- Add onion, carrots and sausage. Saute until onion is clear and carrots are starting to just soften.
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes, tomato paste and Italian seasonings. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add green beans and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve hot.