I do not mean to malign the fish and chips you get in a restaurant. I love those deep fried battered fish and potato meals. However, they aren’t the best for you. This is the way I make fish and chips at home and it is a lot lighter.
I greased a baking sheet with 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of vegetable oil and preheated my oven to 400 F.
I cut two medium potatoes into six wedges each. Then I tossed them with 5 ml (1 teaspoon) Cajun seasoning mix and 15 ml (1 tablespoon) vegetable oil.
I arranged the potatoes on the baking sheet and put them in the oven for 25 minutes.
While the potatoes were cooking, I set up a dredging station. I put 50 ml (1/4 cup) of flour on a plate. I mixed in 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) each of dried basil, thyme, oregano and pepper.
I put a clean plate next to that.
I put a third plate next to that and put 175 ml (3/4 cup) bread crumbs with that. I mixed that with 50 ml (1/4 cup) Parmesan cheese and 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) each dried basil, thyme and oregano.
I put a fourth clean plate besides those.
When the potaotes had cooked for 25 minutes, I flipped the potato wedges and put them back in the oven for 20 minutes.
I took a fish piece and rolled them in the flour mixture. Then on the next clean plate, I smeared 10 ml of mayonnaise or Miracle Whip on the fish piece. I rolled the fish piece in the breadcrumb mixture and put it on the clean plate.
I repeated this with the second piece of fish.
I preheated a nonstick electric fry pan to 350 F and melted 10 ml (2 teaspoons) of butter. I put the fish pieces in the butter and cooked for about 4 minutes on ones side. I flipped them and cooked them for 4 minutes on the other side.
How long you cook the fish depends on how thick the pieces are. Mine were about 3/4 inch thick. You want the fish to be firm and to flake easily.
After the potatoes had cooked for 20 minutes on the second side, I took them out of the oven.
We served our fish and chips with a green salad made from fresh greens out of our garden.
This turned out great. The fish had a nice crust with a good herb flavour. The potatoes are crisp on the outside and have a creamy texture. The Cajun seasoning gives them just a bit of bite.
This was a great fish and chips.
The Old Fat Guy
- 385 grams (2/3 pound) haddock or cod
- 2 medium potatoes
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) vegetable oil
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) Cajun seasoning mix
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) flour
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) dried basil
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) dried thyme
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) dried oregano
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) ground pepper
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) mayonnaise or Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) dried breadcrumbs
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) dried basil
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) dried thyme
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) dried oregano
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) butter
- Preheat your oven to 400 F
- Grease a baking sheet with 15 ml (1 tablespoon) vegetable oil
- Cut the potatoes into six wedges each.
- Toss the potatoes with 15 ml (1 tablespoon) vegetable oil and the Cajun seasoning mix.
- Arrange the potatoes on the baking tray and put in the oven for 25 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, set up a dredging station.
- Put the flour, and the 1 ml each of basil, thyme, oregano and pepper on a plate and mix them.
- Put a clean plate next to the first plate.
- Put a third plate next to the second plate and mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan and 2 ml each of basil, thyme and oregano on the plate and mix them.
- Put a fourth plate next to the third plate.
- Roll a piece of fish in the flour and put it on the second plate. Spread mayonnaise on both sides of the fish.
- Roll the fish in the bread crumb mixture and put on the last clean plate until ready to cook.
- Repeat with remaining fish.
- When the potatoes have been in the oven for 25 minutes, flip them and put them back in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Preheat a nonstick electric fry pan to 350 f or put a nonstick fry pan over medium heat.
- Melt the butter in the pan.
- Cook the fish until it has a nice brown crust and is firm an flaky.
- After the potatoes have been in the oven for 20 minutes, serve them with the fish.