I needed a vegetable dish to go with my Chicken Breast on the Pellet Grill. I had fresh patty pan summer squash and tomatoes from my garden. When you have great flavours like that you have the makings of a great easy dish.
I cut some tomatoes into large chunks and added coarse chopped patty pans. You could use zucchini or any other summer squash. I added some olive oil and Italian seasoning blend and tossed them together in a casserole. Try and keep the vegetables one layer deep in the casserole but two layers wouldn’t hurt.
I coarsely chopped 75 ml (1/3 cup) gruyere cheese and set it aside.
I put the casserole in a smoker heated to 350 F. You could do them in a 350 F oven.
After 15 minutes, I sprinkled the gruyere cheese over the vegetables and baked for another 15 minutes.
I took them out and served.
Simple is often delicious. This dish is a perfect example of this. The tomato is bright and fresh. The summer squash gives a great texture and the gruyere gives it a cheesy taste that goes great with the tomatoes.
The Old Fat Guy
- 250 ml (1 cup) tomatoes cut in chunks
- 250 ml (1 cup) summer squash (zucchini, patty pan, etc) cut in chunks
- 25 ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) Italian herb blend
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) coarse chopped gruyere cheese
- Toss tomatoes and squash in olive oil and Italian herbs.
- Put in a 350 F oven or smoker.
- After 15 minutes, sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes longer.