On the first cook on my Louisiana Grills Pellet Smoker, I made Pepper Cornbread which I have already posted. At the same time, I made some Sweet Tequila Chicken Thighs. I have made a sweet tequila sauce before but I changed it up a bit to make it a glaze for the thighs this time.
I made the sauce by mixing the brown sugar, lime juice, vinegar, Sriracha, soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger in a small saucepan. I brought it to a boil and then simmered for 10 minutes. I let it cool and added the tequila.
I injected some of the sauce into the meat on each side of the thigh bone on the chicken thighs.
I sprinkled both sides of the thighs with the salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
I brushed both sides of the thighs with oil and put them in a the smoker preheated to 350 F.
I cooked the thighs for 40 minutes. I turned them and brushed with oil every 10 minutes of the cooking time.
While the thighs were cooking, I mixed the cornstarch with the cold water. I heated the sauce to just boiling and added the cornstarch slurry. I cooked until the sauce was thickened, about 4 minutes.
I measured the internal temperature of the thighs to make sure it was over 165 F (it was 175 F). I put the chicken on a baking tray and brought it inside. I brushed it with the thickened sauce and served.
We served it with Pepper Cornbread and She Who Must Be Obeyed’s wonderful broccoli salad.
I love crispy chicken skin. The skin on this chicken was crispy, you could bite through it easily and it was so good! I give credit to the Louisiana Grills steady temperature for this. The sauce was sweet, sour and spicy. I really like it. Injecting the chicken gave it a great flavour throughout. Love it!
The Old Fat Guy
- 1 kilogram (2 pounds) chicken thighs
- 50 ml (1/4 tablespoons) brown sugar
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) lime juice
- 25 ml (3 tablespoon) rice vinegar
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) Sriracha sauce
- 25 ml (2 tablespoon) soy sauce
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) minced ginger
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) tequila
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) cornstarch
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) cold water
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) salt
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) onion powder
- 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) garlic powder
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) pepper
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- Mix brown sugar, lime juice, rice vinegar, Sriracha, soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger in a small saucepan.
- Bring it to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Add tequila and stir.
- Use a meat injector to inject sauce into the meat on both sides of the thigh bone for each piece.
- Sprinkle both sides of the thighs with the salt, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper.
- Brush both sides of the chicken with oil.
- Put the thighs in a preheated 350 F smoker or oven.
- Cook the thighs for 40 minutes, turning every 10 minutes and brushing with oil.
- While the chicken is cooking, heat remaining sauce to a low boil.
- Mix the cornstarch in the cold water.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture into the sauce and cook until thickened.
- Make sure the internal temperature of the chicken is over 165 F.
- Take the chicken off the heat and brush with the thickened sauce.