When we had Heather and Bill over, we made an old dish that has been around for decades. It is one of those old recipes that use canned tomato soup. Most are kind of dodgy but this one is great. There is a reason it has stood the test of time and we feel it was good enough to make for guests. The recipe is Copper Pennies and is a dish of marinated carrots.
The recipe is below.
These have a sweet sour taste and a great texture for the carrots. They are great hot or cold. You can store them in the fridge for 3 weeks. They freeze great. You can see why it is a favourite recipe of She Who Must Be Obeyed and is on our table often.
The Old Fat Guy
- 2 pounds carrots
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup salad oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed tomato soup
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Cook carrots in salted water just until cooked but still crisp.
- Drain and cool.
- In a large casserole, alternate layers of carrots, green pepper and thin sliced onion.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a pot and heat until it is at a bubbling boil.
- Pour the liquid over the vegetables and refrigerate over night.
- Can be served hot or cold and freezes well.
- If not frozen, it keeps up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.